EDI promotes its philosophy that community involvement is not an option for leaders, it is a fundamental responsibility and key leadership competency. Through the important mind set of giving back, participants experience the rewards of making a real-time impact to worthy causes through teamwork and innovative leadership.
One element of the program that reinforces the learning around community involvement and team building is the completion of a community project for a non-profit agency whereby the participants can make a difference for a non-profit organization while practicing their skills in a safe learning environment. Participants also begin to learn about non-profit organizational structures and the differences and nuances of community-based organizations versus for-profit or bottom-line driven corporations.
Each program year EDI accepts project proposals from non-profit agencies to be considered for the team projects. Over the past 20 years, EDI participant teams have assisted 90 non-profit agencies and worked on over a 120 projects for these agencies.
To be considered for a project, the non-profit agency must meet the following criteria:
- The non-profit agency is a charitable organization with an IRS 501(c)(3) designation.
- The non-profit agency mission serves people of color and/or those disadvantaged.
- The project scope is realistic and obtainable in a 5-month period of time (~10 hours/month) as a volunteer commitment.
- Preferably, the project at the outset is flexible allowing participants to strategize and innovate. *No fundraising projects, please.
- The non-profit agency commits one or more senior staff members, Board Directors and/or founder to act as the liaison between the agency and the EDI Project Team.
Submit a Proposal:
We are now accepting proposals for our 2015 Programs. Proposals are due by December 31, 2014.
If you would like to apply for a project please email the following to ediediorgorg (ediediorgorg) :
- Copy of your 501c3 letter
- Summary of your organization (purpose, mission, vision)
- Description of the project (see the qualifications section for project criteria). No fundraising projects. Please keep in mind that you will be assigned 4-5 participants to assist on this project. The work is done on a volunteer basis which has averaged approximately 10-20 hours/month per team. The project duration is 5 months.